Thursday, October 4, 2007

Trying again

Having standard-object implemented in a separate assembly is getting unweildy. I think I'm going to return to the manifest-instance technique.

The Visual Studio debugger can use certain annotations on your code to make debugging more pleasant. For example, I have annotated my Keyword and Symbol classes so that the watch window can print them correctly (not quite exactly, yet --- no escaping). When I hit a breakpoint, I can get a display like this:
NameValueType
foo:NAMEobject{Lisp.Keyword}
barCLOS::STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTIONobject{Lisp.Symbol}


Right now, however, my StandardObject delegates are printing like this:
NameValueType
generic{Method = {System.Object uninitializedFuncallableInstanceMethod(System.Object[])}}object{Lisp.StandardObject}


That's not so useful. I can add the debugging annotations to the StandardObject, but since it is in a different assembly, it creates a circular dependency. If I go back to the somewhat more clunky, but portable representation, I'll find it a lot easier to debug.

Later that same day....
Argh. You can't add a debugger type proxy to a delegate in C#. Back to IL.

No comments: